I remember years ago, when I just went with the flow, wherever that might take me. I gave a little bit of effort, but I never PUSHED myself past my comfort level. The worst part is, because I didn’t have BIG goals set in stone, I never felt the harsh reality of failure. I think sometimes, to protect ourselves, we are ok staying average and blending into the middle of the pack. Not any more.
Today, I see life much differently. I know that I am in total control of my successes, my financial goals, and where we end up in life. I’m not ok being just average. I want my children to experience the world, to take last minute trips, to study abroad, seeing the amazing sights of different countries and tasting the favorite cuisines of different cultures. I want them to know what their body is capable of, and I want to see them give their all in the sports they love. I want my children to BELIEVE they are capable of anything, if they work hard enough, and that they can have high standards for friends and relationships, because those are ALL options.
Because I now understand the power of goal setting and vision, I believe without a doubt, that failure is NOT an option. In the past year, just slightly tweaking a few old mindsets, our life has changed! Here are the FIVE things that are a MUST if you want to move towards big, scary goals, and a life of achievement.
1. SET GOALS WITH AN END DATE: A goal doesn’t matter much if you don’t know when you are going to achieve it. If you want to be a millionaire, you need to know when! Earning a million dollars by 90 years old is a LOT different than earning it by the time you are 50. That’s a lot of life you are going to miss out on living, by not setting an end date and doing daily actions to get you there.
2. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH PEOPLE SMARTER & MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN YOU: If you are the smartest, most successful person in the room, that doesn’t give you a lot of room for growth. Surround yourself with people who are where you want to be. You have a lot to learn from someone who has already been down the path you want to go down. Ask questions. Be willing to change. Learn something new every day.
3. CREATE A VISION BOARD THAT SHOWS WHAT YOUR LIFE LOOKS LIKE WHEN YOUR GOALS ARE ACHIEVED AND SHARE IT WITH OTHERS: If YOU can’t envision what the life of your dreams is going to look like, how are you ever going to be driven enough to achieve it. You need to be reminded every day what your “freedom” looks and feels like. Once you’ve created it, share it with others, so they can hold you accountable. As you complete a goal, check it off and create a new one.
4. BE COMMITTED TO CONSTANTLY LEARNING: I HATED personal development this time last year. I thought I was a confident enough person, I didn’t need it. Truthfully, confidence isn’t all you need. You need to always be learning, growing, and taking in information so that you can SHARE that with others, as you grow. If you aren’t growing, you will have NOTHING to give, and a leader/achiever always needs to be giving.
5. MAKE SURE YOUR LOVED ONES UNDERSTAND YOUR GOALS AND VISION: First of all, finding success, and reaching goals, isn’t nearly as much fun alone. Share your dreams and WHY you are working so hard on your business. Tell them why you are going back to school to finish your degree. Explain to them why you are trying to grow in your faith. Make sure they understand the importance of your physical transformation and becoming healthy. Let them in on what is driving you and what you want for your family’s future. Take them on the journey with you, so they understand your long hours, and they will REALLY appreciate YOU reaching your goals even more.
Make the decision that FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION, and make your dreams a reality.